<span class="highlight">Gibb</span> <span class="highlight">River</span> Road <span class="highlight">caravan</span> experience

We are presently in Broome, planning to drive the Gibb River Road from the Derby end to the Wyndham end in the next couple of weeks. We have an off-road caravan (approx 3.2 tonnes loaded) and are towing with a 200 Series Landcruiser T/D, which has an ARB 200kg suspension upgrade, including OME sports shockies about 5,000km ago, together with a complete new set of Bridgestone D694LTs (car and caravan). We will be checking with the local authorities in Derby and through Main Roads WA before heading out, but are wondering if any members have done the GRR recently (i.e. since the end of the last 'wet' season). Anecdotally, we hear that the road is in reasonable condition, with some recently upgraded sections, and work ongoing on re-sheeting with gravel near the Mt Barnett section. Also, we understand the Durack River crossing has dropped to 45cm today, and is likely to drop progressively as time goes by (assuming no new significant rainfall in the region in coming days/weeks). Note that we are careful drivers/owners, and understand the need for lower tyre pressures and slow speeds in really rough areas and over bad corrugations. Any advice would be appreciated, including any "must see" gorges/attractions that might be in addition to the "usual" ones.

Mike & Helen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 21:53

Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 21:53
Hi Mike and Helen

No current experience of road conditions, but as reported recently, the road to Kalumburu is only open as far as Drysdale River Station.Mitchell Falls road is likely to be repaired and opened, but the road to Kalumburu opening this season sounds unlikely.

For what to see and what we saw, check out our 2008 travelogues at:

Travelogues - Australia So Much to See

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 458029

Reply By: woodie3 - Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 21:56

Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 21:56
Hi, I receive a newsletter regularly with updates on conditions in the Kimberleys it can be accessed by googlng the Kimberley Guide, the lady who publishes lives in the region and is very informative,have a great trip,

Bill
AnswerID: 458030

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2011 at 13:24

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2011 at 13:24
ExplorOz Road Conditions - Offical Reports Australiawide
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 731393

Follow Up By: Member - John B2 (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2011 at 13:43

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2011 at 13:43
There are a lot of roads open in the Kimberley that are showing closed on the ExplorOz road conditions.

Cheers,
John
FollowupID: 731397

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 22:06

Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 22:06
Hi newbies, you have better running gear than my rig - Pathfinder and Jayco Dove O/B. Just take it easy . You must do Bells and the upper and lower Manning Gorge. Lenard is a disappointment now as the old 4WD track is closed and you have to walk the last 2 km. Arguably there is no need to use low range even on the Pentecost crossing. Stop at El Questro for 3 nights and do all the tracks - you will need low on the Saddleback Ridge and Lookout and afew other spots. Enjoy..... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 458031

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 22:11

Monday, Jun 20, 2011 at 22:11
Mike & Helen,

we expect to be driving west to east on the GRR about mid-July. I would be very interested to hear an update after you complete the trip.

We have a 200 series with the same suspension, towing a Bushtracker. Our friends with us also have a 200 and they are towing a Spinifex.

Here is a link to the blog of some other friends of ours giving some detail on campsites and stopover places. It was written last August, so well before all the rains up there, but still good info.

Nik'n'Off on the GRR

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 458033

Follow Up By: newbies - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2011 at 18:41

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2011 at 18:41
Thanks to all who responded. I hve accessed the Kimberley Guide (by Birgit Bradtke), which appears to have great and plentiful info and advice. I will eventually post a report when we emerge from the eastern end of the GRR - hopefully in good nick all around! Slow and low (pressures) seems to be the main theme, apart from enjoying all there is to see along the way.

Mike & Helen
FollowupID: 731435

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2011 at 19:07

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2011 at 19:07
Hi Mike and Helen

While 'slow and low' is important, your biggest hazard may be "Fritz in Britz" or anyone else in a hire vehicle on a mission to drive the GRR at autobahn speeds bouncing towards you. We ran our tyres on 25 psi cold all round. Distances between features are small, so you won't need to travel far in a day; travelling slow is easy.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 458103

Follow Up By: newbies - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2011 at 19:16

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2011 at 19:16
Thanks Motherhen. I know what you mean about some (hopefully, only a small minority) of our foreign self-drive tourists - from hair-raising experience going into the Bungle Bungles 10 years ago. My 'idiot meter' will be working overtime on the GRR, I assure you.

M & H
FollowupID: 731443

Reply By: aimee - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2011 at 21:35

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2011 at 21:35
Hi newbies
Travelled the Gibb River Road last week (12th - 20th June), the road is in excellent condition, lots of graders carrying out re-sheeting of the road. The main river crossings (Durack/Pentecost) were both at about 450mm high, with solid bottoms. Lots and lots of vehicles going both ways. Enjoy your travels.
AnswerID: 458122

Follow Up By: newbies - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2011 at 21:56

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2011 at 21:56
Thanks Aimee - encouraging news!

Mike
FollowupID: 731484

Follow Up By: newbies - Thursday, Jun 23, 2011 at 10:37

Thursday, Jun 23, 2011 at 10:37
Aimee - I should have asked already, but were you towing a caravan (vs camper trailer or tenting) and, if so, where did you overnight along the way? I understand there are significant restrictions for caravans, even at some of the designated camping areas and/or the access tracks into these areas are not suitable for large caravans, even off-roaders, or vans are just not welcome. Cheers,
Mike & Helen
FollowupID: 731665

Follow Up By: aimee - Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:48

Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:48
Hi newbies,
We did travel with a roof topper and stayed at Windjana Gorge, (lots of caravans), Charnley River Station (road not agreeable to caravans at the moment) Manning Gorge (okay for caravans) Drysdale Station (okay for vans) El Questro (okay for vans). Enjoy your travels.
FollowupID: 731787

Follow Up By: newbies - Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 19:29

Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 19:29
Thanks Aimee. Also, interesting referral from Gone Bush - consistent message: take it slowly and carefully on reduced tyre pressures and watch out for idiots!

Newbies
FollowupID: 731828

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:59

Friday, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:59
Here's another interesting recent review:

Caravan on GRR

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 458327

Follow Up By: newbies - Wednesday, Jul 06, 2011 at 23:44

Wednesday, Jul 06, 2011 at 23:44
Well, we survived the Gibb River Road, having spent nearly 9 days (a couple without travelling) doing it. The road condition is like the parson's egg - good in places, not so good in others. However, there is a lot of traffic on it, probably increasing by the day as school holidays commence, and there are many lengths of bone-jarring corrugations to contend with, as well as many stony and rough sections and numerous dips, many with water (shallow) and often very rough - extra care required if towing a heavy caravan like ours. It is certainly passable, but there are sections where the corrugations were so bad we had to slow to walking pace to avoid being shaken to bits. Mind you, there were many single vehicles and those towing camper trailers who roared past us on these sections at a much faster pace, obviously trying to skate across the corrugations. In our recent experience, you can't count on the same road condition for more than a few kilometres at a time, and often much less than this. It changes rapidly and requires constant vigilance. The dust from passing and overtaking vehicles can be horrendous in still conditions, requiring frequent stops (or major slowing) until it clears. The run from the Derby end through the King Leopold Ranges was good to OK, with some road works under way. The road conditions aren't bad to the Silent Grove turn off into Bells Gorge, but the 8kms from the turn-off to the Imintji roadhouse was acknowledged by even the locals as some of the worst corrugations on the whole GRR (I have to agree, but there were some equally bad sections to the Mt Barnett roadhouse and after the turn-off to Kalumburu and on the more travelled sections between Home Valley and El Questro). Apart from major rebuilding works by Main Roads WA north of Mt Barnett for about 20km (with a good temporary deviation), we came across only a single grader working on the remainder of the road to the Victoria Highway and many long stretches that appeared not to have been graded in a long time - certainly not since the last 'wet'.

The Durack and Pentecost River crossings are not a problem (water only about 40cm deep), but very rocky underneath.

We ran tyre pressures between 28 and 30 psi cold, the latter over the more stony sections which are strewn with rocks of all sizes and shapes. We took the general advice of 'slow and low' and did not have any punctures or significant damage (although the jolting and the dust seems to have made the caravan Coolmatic inverter fridge somewhat temperamental).

I'm glad we did it, as the scenery is magnificent, but I wouldn't hurry back to do it towing a 3 tonne caravan. Having said that, we did come across several Kedrons, Bushtrackers, and Lotus vans - and even the odd Jayco and Coromal - it's all in the driving style, I guess. There is every make and style of off-road vehicle doing the trip, but camper trailers dominate the numbers, followed by Britz type pop-top 4WDs and camper units mounted on traybacks.

We found that travelling a distance of 110-150km in a day under these conditions was sufficient to warrant an early 'beer o'clock' at a camp site, if you can find one that suits your needs. We only enjoyed 2 freebies along the way, with the other 6 nights at either DEC or private station.El Questro is by far the most expensive, because of its $18/person wilderness park fee (lasts for a week, however), on top of the camping fee of $16/person. But, once in a lifetime...
FollowupID: 732899

Reply By: Zebra400 - Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 08:40

Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 at 08:40
Hi Mike & Helen

We just finished the GRR last week. You will find some good sections & some corrugated sections.

Dust is the big issue with so many people on the track. The Durack & Penecost were both easy to cross. The majority of both rivers is way below 450mm. The Gibb River was deeper going up to Drysdale station - not as long to cross, but there were no problems there either.

Take you time & enjoy. Nearly every gorge is now open, so your main issue is the numbers camping at each camp ground.

Enjoy - we did!

Laurie

AnswerID: 459340

Sponsored Links